Purpose: Identify patients with neck pain who are likely to experience early success from thoracic spine thrust manipulation, exercise, and patient education.
1. Symptoms < 30 days
2. No symptoms distal to the shoulder
3. Looking up does not aggravate symptoms
4. FABQ-PA score < 12
5. Diminished upper thoracic spine kyphosis
6. Cervical extension ROM < 30 degrees
1. Cleland JA, et al. Development of a clinical prediction rule for guiding treatment of a subgroup of patients with neck pain: use of thoracic spine manipulation, exercise, and patient education. Phys Ther. 2007; 87(1): 9-23.
2. Cleland JA, et al. Examination of a Clinical Prediction Rule to Identify Patients With Neck Pain Likely to Benefit From Thoracic Spine Thrust Manipulation and a General Cervical Range of Motion Exercise: Multi-Center Randomized Clinical Trial. Phys Ther. 2010; 90(9): 1239-1250.